PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The Brandeis volleyball team dropped a pair of matches on the first day of action at the second University Athletic Association Round Robin of the season at Carnegie Mellon. The Judges narrowly lost three sets to the University of Rochester, 25-23, 25-23, 25-21, then dropped three straight to the host Tartans, 25-14, 25-19, 25-18. Brandeis now stands at 8-12 overall, 0-5 in the UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS ROCHESTER (23-25, 23-25, 21-25)
- In their opener, the Judges jumped out to big leads in the first two sets, but couldn't hang on. Brandeis led 10-2 in the first set and 15-7 in the second, but the Yellowjackets rallied to escape with the two-point wins.
- The Judges also had a 13-8 lead in the third, but UR rallied with nine in a row to take a 17-13 lead and close out the match.
- Junior Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) led Brandeis with eight kills, while senior Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, Calif./Marymount) had six kills and a team- and season-high 15 digs.
- Bartlett also led the team with six blocks, while sophomore Belle Scott (Portland, Ore. / Oregon Episcopal School) added five (two solo).
- Sophomore Marissa Borgert (Blaine, Minn./Spring Lake Park) dished out 21 assists.
- Rochester outhit Brandeis, .120 to .048 and had 52 digs to 44 for the Judges.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS CARNEGIE MELLON (14-25, 19-25, 18-25)
- Against the home team, the story was Decker-Jacoby, who finished with 15 kills – a match-high and two short of her season-best, while hitting at a .300 clip (15 K-6 E-30 TA).
- Unfortunately for the Judges, no other player had more than four kills.
- Borgert finished with 15 assists, while senior Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton Collegiate Prep) added 11.
- Senior libero Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Rancho Bernardo) had 10 digs, while classmate Grace Krumpack (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colraine) had six.
- The Judges were held to just two team blocks after recording nine the match prior.
- Thirteen different CMU players recorded their 34 kills, while making just eight errors for a .347 hitting percentage.
- The Judges finish out UAA Round Robin play tomorrow against Emory and NYU at 10 am and 12 noon, respectively.