WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis volleyball team finished with a 2-1 record at the New England Classic as the Judges defeated Gordon College in four sets this afternoon, 21-25, 25-13, 25-20, 25-11. The Judges improve to 5-2 overall, while the Fighting Scots fall to 5-4 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Scots took the first set, 25-21, as both teams struggled offensively, combining for just three more kills than attack errors.
- Brandeis found its range in the next three sets, hitting better than .200 in all of them as they won, 25-13, 25-20, 25-11. The Judges' best performance came in the second set, when they hit .450 (11-2-20).
- Three different Judges finished with eight kills each: sophomore Marissa Borgert (Blaine, Minn. / Spring Lake Park), junior Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury), and senior Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, Calif. / Marymount).
- Bartlett added three solo blocks and a service ace for a match-high 12 points.
- Rookie Kaisa Newberg (Reno, Nev. / Sage Ridge School) had six kills and six blocks (five solo) to account for 11.5 points. As a team, Brandeis finished with 13 blocks to just two for Gordon.
- Senior Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Rancho Bernardo) led all players with 17 digs, while rookie Kaitlyn Oh (Santa Clara, Calif. / Cupertino) finished with 14.
- Senior Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) had 23 assists.
- Amanda Snyder led the Scots with nine kills, while Mackenzie Hinds had eight. Hinds was two kills shy of a double-double with 10 digs.
- Jenny Curtiss led the Gordon defense with 14 digs while Ashlyn Gergins had 17 assists in setting the offense.
- Brandeis plays two mid-week non-conference matchups next week, Wednesday evening at Tufts and Friday night at Endicott.