WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University swimming and diving team opened its home schedule today with a split against Wheaton College, head coach Nicole Carter's alma mater and previous team. The men came away with a 128-77 win, winning 9 of 11 events, while the Wheaton women won 10 of 11 to take a 134-69 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED – TOP PERFORMERS, MEN
- The Judges had five different individual winners, including three who won two races.
- Sophomore Richard Selznick (Las Vegas, Nev. / Palos Verde) remained undefeated in distance freestyle events with wins in the 1,000 and 500. He took the former in 10:10.28 and the latter in 4:55.72, winning by 29 and 13 seconds, respectively.
- Classmate Daniel Wohl (Chapel Hill, N.C. / East Chapel Hill) won twice, in the 50 free with a time of 22.67 seconds and in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:01.97.
- A third sophomore, Chase Chen (Villanova, Penn. / The Hill School) was the final multiple winner, completing a freestyle sweep with wins in the 100 (49.75 seconds) and the 200 (1:50.09), out-touching classmate Marcelo Ohno-Machado (San Diego, Calif. / Torrey Pines) in the 200 by five-hundredths of a second.
- Single winners were rookie Brendon Lu (Basking Ridge, N.J. / Ridge High School) in the 200 IM with a time of 2:03.37, edging junior Tamir Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) by 0.17 seconds, and junior Mathew Arcemont (Santa Ana, Calif. / Mater Dei), who won the 200 butterfly by 0.15 seconds over a Wheaton foe with a time of 55.14 seconds.
- The team of rookie Benton Ferebee (Germantown, Tenn. / Memphis University School), Lu, Arcemont and Wohl captured the 200 medley relay by just one-hundredth of a second over Wheaton with a time of 1:38.84.
HOW IT HAPPENED – TOP PERFORMERS, WOMEN
- On the women's side, senior Kylie Herman (Weston, Fla./Cypress Bay) picked up the Judges' only win, taking the 500 free with a time of 5:30.98, a whopping 26 seconds faster than the next opponent. She also finished second in the 200 free with a time of 2:03.80.
- Other second-place finishes came from sophomore Uajda Musaku (Winthrop, Mass. / Winthrop) in the 50 free with a time of 26.45 seconds and the 100 free in 57.29 seconds
- Rookie Claire Xu (East Hanover, N.J. / Newark Academy) was runner-up in the 200 IM (2:20.24).
- The team of rookie Lauren Howard (Abington, Mass. / Cardinal Spellman), junior Natalya Wozab (Plantation, Fla. / Saint Thomas Aquinas), sophomore Annie Huang (Chapel Hill, N.C. / East Chapel Hill) and Herman were second in the 400 free relay with a time of 3:58.27.
- The Judges return to action next Friday evening, November 2, at 6:30 pm with a meet against WPI, Babson, Smith and Simmons in Worcester.