POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – The Brandeis University swimming and diving team picked up a split this afternoon in a dual meet at Vassar College. The men defeated the Brewers, 169-93, to improve to 1-1 and give head coach Nicole Carter her first win as a head coach. The women fell to VC, 168-98, and drop to 0-2.
TOP PERFORMERS – MEN
- Sophomore Daniel Wohl (Chapel Hill, N.C. / East Chapel Hill) was a triple individual winner, setting a Vassar pool record in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:45.18. He also won the 100 free in 50.15 seconds and the 200 individual medley with a mark of 2:04.73.
- Classmate Richard Selznick (Las Vegas, Nev./Palos Verde) completed a weekend sweep of the distance freestyle events, taking the 500 in 5:00.42 and the 1,000 in 10:15.03. He also contributed in the 200 butterfly with a time of 2:05.57, good for third place.
- Sophomore Benjamin Francis (Brooklyn, N.Y. / Brooklyn Friends School) picked up his first collegiate win at the meet, winning the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 58.75 seconds, out-touching rookie teammate Benton Ferebee (Germantown, Tenn. / Memphis University School) by 0.25 seconds.
- Sophomore Chase Chen (Villanova, Penn. / The Hill School) captured the 50 free with a time of 22.56 seconds, and rookie Brendon Lu (Basking Ridge, N.J./Ridge) won the 200 breaststroke with a mark of 2:16.40.
- The Judges also won both relays, taking the 200 medley in 1:40.05 and the 400 free in 3:18.52.
TOP PERFORMERS – WOMEN
- Rookie Claire Xu (East Hanover, N.J./Newark Academy) was one of the top performers for the women for the second meet in a row. She came in second in the 100-yard backstroke (1:04.19), third in the 200 (2:20.85) and fifth in the 200 butterfly (2:27.26).
- Senior Kylie Herman (Weston, Fla./Cypress Bay) had a pair of runner-up performances in the 1000 free (11:19.37) and 100 free (57.90). She also placed third in the 200 fly (2:22.40).
- Rookie Gazelle Umbay (North Hills, CA / Sierra Canyon School) was fourth in both butterfly events, posting times of 1:05.31 in the 100 and 2:24.88 in the 200.
- The Judges make their home debut next Saturday afternoon at 12 p.m. when they play host to Wheaton College, Carter's former team and alma mater.