WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University women's soccer team ran its season-opening winning streak to eight-straight games today as the Judges defeated Case Western Reserve University, 2-0, on Gordon Field today in the University Athletic Association opener for both teams. The Judges – ranked #12 in the nation by the United Soccer Coaches and #14 by D3soccer.com – improve to 8-0, 1-0 in the UAA, while the Spartans fall to 5-4, 0-1 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brandeis got all the scoring it would need in the 17th minute. After a scramble within the 18-yard box, senior Becca Buchman (Rockville Centre, N.Y. / South Side) was there to knock home her first goal of the season and third of her career.
- Buchman became the 12th different Judges to score a goal this season.
- The Judges added a key insurance goal in the 76th minute when junior Katie Hayes (Eau Claire, Wisc./Regis H.S.) her team-leading fourth goal of the season, knocking home a corner kick by rookie Lauren Mastandrea (Hauppage, N.Y. / Hauppage).
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Judges commanded the game, outshooting the Spartans, 23-5, and not allowing a shot on goal.
- Brandeis also had 10 corner kicks to none for CWRU.
- Brandeis junior Sierra Dana (Lombard, Ill./Glenbard East) picked up her first solo shutout of the season and the seventh of her career.
- It was Brandeis's fifth shutout as a team.
- Spartan goalkeeper Lauren Metz had 10 saves in the losing effort.
- Brandeis steps back out of conference on Tuesday evening against Lesley University at 7 p.m.
- CWRU hosts non-conference opponent Allegheny at 7:30 the same night.