AMHERST, Mass. – The Brandeis University outdoor track and field team continued its 2019 season on Saturday at the Amherst College Spring Fling. The Brandeis men scored 54 points and placed third overall, while the women took fifth place with 30 points.
Five individual Judges tied for the top performance of the day with second-place finishes. For the women, rookie hurdler Sonali Anderson (Fayetteville, Ga. / Whitewater) made her outdoor debut in the 110-meter hurdles and was runner-up with a time of 15.74 seconds, about three-quarters of a second behind the winner from Wheaton College. Senior Julia Bryson (Quincy, Mass./North Quincy) was about half a second off the pace in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:20.36.
For the men, junior Jack Allan (Wrentham, Mass./King Phillip Regional) also placed second in the 110 hurdles, posting a time of 16.04 seconds, about half a second off the winning time. The Judges' next two runners-up came in field events, where junior Aaron Corin (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) vaulted 4.25 meters (13-11 ¼) in the pole vault and sophomore Breylen Ammen (Lincoln, Mass. / Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) was second in the javelin with a toss of 48.34 meters (158-07).
The Judges also had three second-place relays: the women's 4x100 meters (52.04 seconds), women's 4x400 meters (4:12.60) and the men's 4x400 meters (3:32.17).
Other top performances for the Judges
- Rookie Erin Magill (Moretown, Vt. / Harwood Union) , 3rd place, 5000m, 18:42.88
- Sophomore Leinni Valdez (Providence, R.I./Hope), 5th place, 800m, 2:22.82
- Sophomore Lisbeth Valdez (Providence, R.I./Hope), 6th place , 800m , 2:22.84
- Junior Lydia Harris (Damariscotta, Maine / Lincoln Academy),6th place, discus throw, 14.07 m (46-02)
- Junior Lorenzo Maddox (Atlanta, Ga. / Maynard Jackson), 3rd place, 100m dash, 11.14 seconds
- Senior Regan Charie (Topsfield, Mass./Masconomet Regional), 3rd place, 200m dash, 22.74 seconds
- Rookie Aaron Portman (Wheeling, Ill. / Adlai E. Stevenson), 4th place, 800m, 1:59.40
- Rookie Jacob Grant (Rockville Center, N.Y. / South Side), 6th place, 800m, 2:00.81
- Rookie Matthew Driben (Reading, Pa. / Wyomissing Area), 4th place, 5000m, 15:35.46
- Junior Daniel Curley (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood), 5th place, 5000m, 15:38.43
- Ammen, 4th place, pole vault, 4.10m (13-5 ¼)
- Senior Scott Grote (Greenfield, Mass./Greenfield), 4th place, shot put, 12.55m (41-2 ¼)
- Grote, 5th place, discus throw, 37.59m (123-4)
- Sophomore Michael Kroker (Aumsville, Ore / Cascade), 4th place, javelin, 43.87m (143-11).