WORCESTER, Mass. – Competing in a large multi-team meet, the Brandeis University women's swimming and diving team picked up its first two wins of the season. The Judges defeated Babson, 201-69, and Smith, 203.5-92.5. They also fell to host WPI, 197-96, and dropped a narrow 159.5-134.5 decision to Simmons, bringing their overall record to 2-5. The Brandeis men also competed, falling to WPI, 163-116, and Babson, 139.5-122.5, to move to 2-3 overall.
TOP PERFORMERS – MEN
- Sophomore Richard Selznick (Las Vegas, Nev./Palos Verde) continued his outstanding season by staying unbeaten in the distance freestyle events, winning the 1000 by seven seconds in 10:07.03 and the 500 in a much closer fashion by just five-hundredths of a second in 4:52.02. Selznick also won the 400-yard IM by half a second with a time of 4:20.41.
- In the 200 free, Brandeis sophomores scored the second, third and fourth positions, with Daniel Wohl (Chapel Hill, N.C. / East Chapel Hill) swimming 1:46.80; Marcelo Ohno-Machado (San Diego, Calif. / Torrey Pines) finishing in 1:49.34; and Chase Chen (Villanova, Penn. / The Hill School) coming in in 1:50.20.
- Chen also was the top performer for the Judge sin the 50 free, placing fourth in 22.61, about half a second out of the top spot. Ohno-Machado was sixth in 22.93. Chen also placed third in the 100 free in 49.65 seconds.
- Junior Tamir Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) was the runner-up in the 100-yard butterfly in 51.43 seconds, just 0.39 out of first place. He was third in the 100 free in 48.19 seconds, getting out-touched by 0.02 for second.
- Rookie Brendon Lu (Basking Ridge, N.J. / Ridge) had a pair of second-place finishes, in the 100 breaststroke, where missed winning by just three-hundredths of a second with a time of 1:01.24, and in the 400 IM, where he was second to Selznick with a time of 4:20.91.
- Rookie Alex Wang (Surrey, British Columbia / Southpointe Academy) finished third in the 200 breast in 2:15.72 and fourth in both the 100 breast in 1:08.78 – where he tied with a Babson swimmer – and in the 400 IM with a mark of 4:29.36.
- Junior Matthew Arcemont (Santa Ana, Calif. / Mater Dei) was fourth in the 200 butterfly with a time of 2:07.66, while sophomore Joe Beletti-Naccarato (Delmar, N.Y. / Bethlehem Central) was fifth in the 200 back in 2:03.66.
- Top relay performances were a third-place mark in the 200 free from the team of Wohl, Ohno-Machado, Chen and Zitelny with a time of 1:27.36. In the 200 medley relay, the squad of Zitelny, Lu, Arcemont and Wohl were fourth in 1:39.05.
TOP PERFORMERS - WOMEN
- The Judges picked up two race wins on the evening. In the 200-yard butterfly, rookie Gazelle Umbay (North Hills, Calif. / Sierra Canyon School) won with a time of 2:18.01 by a margin of 0.54 seconds.
- Classmate Claire Xu (East Hanover, N.J. / Newark Academy) edged the runner-up from Simmons in the 400-yard individual medley by 0.04 seconds with a time of 4:53.28.
- Umbay also placed third in the 100 fly with a time of 1:03.99, while Xu was second in the 100 backstroke in 1:02.60 and fourth in the 200 back in 2:18.71.
- Senior Kylie Herman (Weston, Fla./Cypress Bay) turned in a second-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 2:01.83, and third-place marks in the 200 butterfly (2:18.59) and the 500 free (5:28.41).
- Sophomore Audrey Kim (Livingston, N.J. / Livingston) placed third in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:17.57 and fourth in the 100 in 1:03.84.
- Rookie Lauren Howard (Abington, Mass. / Cardinal Spellman) was the top performer in the freestyle sprints, placing fourth in the 100 (57.66) and fifth in the 50 (26.61).
- Junior Natalya Wozab (Plantation, Fla. / Saint Thomas Aquinas) took third in the 200 breaststroke (2:36.99) and tied for sixth in the 100 (1:13.05), while rookie Olivia Stebbins (Willington, Conn. / Edwin O. Smith) was fourth in the 100 (1:12.04) and sixth in the 200 (2:41.13).
- The team had three top relays as well, taking second in the 200 medley with a time of 1:55.17 from Xu, Stebbins, Umbay and sophomore Annie Huang (Chapel Hill, N.C. / East Chapel Hill), about two seconds out of the top spot.
- In the 200 free relay, Howard, sophomore Uajda Musaka (Winthrop, Mass. / Winthrop), junior Adrienne Aponte (Pompano Beach, Fla. / Fort Lauderdale) and Herman were second in 1:45.08, while Kim, Wozab, sophomore Sofia Chevez (New York, N.Y. / Beacon) and Umbay were third in 1:47.08.
- The Judges take on cross-town rivals Bentley University on Friday, November 16 at 6 p.m.