WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis men's soccer team controlled play throughout their final non-conference match of the season, but the Judges didn't break through until the 73rd minute as they defeated local rivals Lasell, 1-0, on Gordon Field tonight.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After taking 21 shots and coming up empty, Brandeis scored on their 22nd off the foot of senior Chris Bradley (E. Brunswick, N.J. / E. Brunswick). Sophomore Brandon Miskin (Needham, Mass. / Worcester Acad.) started the play by dribbling along the end-line and sending a ball to Bradley in the middle of the box. Bradley was able to turn and shoot after missing just wide a couple of times earlier in the match.
- Lasell senior keeper Miguel Colmenares (Caracas, Venezuela/Colegio Claret) made two terrific saves in the previous five minutes to keep the game level. He had a diving stop on a Josh Ocel (No. Attleboro, Mass./Worcester Acad.) free kick from just outside the box in the 69th minute, then played a Miskin header off a long throw perfectly in the 72nd.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis outshot Lasell, 23-3, including 14-2 in the second half.
- Bradley's goal was his third of the season and eighth of his career. It was also his second game-winner of the campaign.
- Miskin's assist was his first point of the season. He missed seven straight contests to injury.
- Brandeis sophomore Ben Woodhouse (Suffield, Conn./Suffield) had three stops to record the win.
- The shutout was his seventh of the season and the team's 10th.
- Colmenares finished with eight saves in the losing effort.
- Brandeis is now 13-2-1 on the season. The Judges are ranked No. 7 in Division III by D3soccer.com, No. 12 by the NSCAA.
- The Judges are 9-0 in games with a 1-0 score this season and 12 of their 13 wins have been one-goal affairs.
- Brandeis finishes their non-conference slate with a 10-1-1 record. Their final three regular season games are all in the UAA.
- The Judges are now 47-2-1 in the regular season against non-conference opponents since 2012, 53-5-1 since then including the NCAA tournament.
- Brandeis has now won all 12 meetings with Lasell.
- The Lasers fall to 3-21 on the season.
- The Judges head to Emory on Friday, Oct. 30 at 7:30 p.m. and the University of Rochester on Sunday, Nov. 1 at 1:30 p.m.
- Lasell travels to Mount Ida for a Great Northeast Athletic Conference quarterfinal Sunday at 1 p.m.