NORTHAMPTON, Mass. – The Brandeis University volleyball team opened its final non-conference tournament of the season with a convincing 3-0 win over Worcester State University at the Hall of Fame Invitational at Smith College. The Judges won by scores of 25-19, 25-22, 25-20. Brandeis improves to 9-14 on the season, while Worcester State falls to 15-10.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first set, the Judges and Lancers were tied at 18 before Brandeis went on a 7-1 run to take a 25-19 decision.
- In the second, Brandeis jumped out to a 5-1 lead. After WSU tied it at 5-all, a four-point run made it 10-6 and the Judges never trailed again en route to the 25-22 win.
- There weren't any huge runs in the third set, but with the score tied at 11, Brandeis scored seven of the next 11 points to go up 18-15, and won 25-20.
- The Judges matched their second-best hitting percentage of the season, with 44 kills and just 15 errors in 119 attacks for a .244 mark.
- They were plus-10 for the match in kills (44-34) and had a 7-0 advantage in service aces.
- Rookie outside hitter Stephanie Borr (Westfield, N.J. / Westfield) had her best match of the season, achieving her first collegiate double-double. Borr had 11 kills, her second-highest total of the season, and 12 digs, a career-high. Borr made just two errors in 29 attacks for a .310 percentage. She also had two service aces.
- Junior middle hitter Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) added nine kills without an error in 19 attempts for a team-best .474 percentage.
- Senior setter Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) dished out 23 assists, while sophomore Marissa Borgert (Blaine, Minn./Spring Lake Park) had 16.
- Rookie defensive specialist Kaitlyn Oh (Santa Clara, Calif./Cupertino) led all players with 17 digs.
- The Judges take on tournament co-host Smith College tomorrow at 11 a.m. and Trinity (Conn.) at 1 p.m.