WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University volleyball team split a pair of matches in their first evening playing in Red Auerbach Arena this season. The Judges opened with a sweep of Maine-Presque Isle, but lost in three sets to Bowdoin as part of the New England Classic. Brandeis is now 4-2 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED – Brandeis 3, UMaine Presque Isle 0 (25-15, 25-15, 25-14)
- The Judges held the Owls to a negative hitting percentage (13 K, 17 E, 81 TA, -.049) as they rolled to victory in the opener.
- Junior middle hitter Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) led the way with seven kills, while sophomore Belle Scott (Portland, Ore./Oregon Episcopal School) and rookie Stephanie Borr (Westfield, N.J./Westfield) had six each.
- Borr also had five service aces to contribute a team-high 11 points.
- Senior libero Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Rancho Bernardo) had 19 digs to lead all players.
- Bartlett also had three blocks (two solo) on defense.
- Senior Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) delivered 18 assists.
- Miranda Washinawatock paced the Owls with seven kills and nine digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED – Bowdoin 3, Brandeis 0 (25-19, 25-21, 25-11)
- The Polar Bears turned the tables on the Judges in the second match, hitting .204 as a team while holding Brandeis to .063, a season-low and .100 below their season average.
- Scott and Bartlett led the team offensively with seven and six kills, respectively.
- Scott had just one error in 14 attacks for a .429 hitting percentage, but no other Brandeis player hit above .200.
- Bartlett also had four blocks (two solo) to pace the team with 10 points.
- Cho and classmate Grace Krumpack (Cincinnati, Ohio / Colerain) led the team with 13 digs each.
- Sophomore Marissa Borgert (Blaine, Minn./Spring Lake Park) had 23 assists.
- Bowdoin's Caroline Flaharty led all players with 10 kills and had just one error in 26 attacks for a .346 hitting percentage.
- Lisa Sheldon topped all players with 23 digs, while Kate Kiser had 22 assists.
- Brandeis will play host to Gordon College tomorrow at 12 noon.
- Bowdoin and Maine-Presque Isle will meet tomorrow at 1 p.m. at UMass Boston.