ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. -- Led by an undefeated weekend by sophomore All-American Carley Cooke (San Diego, Calif./Point Loma) the 24th-ranked Brandeis University women's tennis team finished in fifth place at the 2013 University Athletic Association tournament. It marked the second year in a row the Judges have finished in fifth place.
After dropping a dramatic quarterfinal match to #10 Washington University, Brandeis rallied for an 8-1 win win over seventh-seeded Rochester in the consolation semifinals. For the second match in a row, the Judges won two of three doubles matches, with Cooke and senior Faith Broderick (Washingtonille, N.Y./Washingtonville) winning 8-4 in the first spot and juniors Allyson Bernstein (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) and Marissa Lazar (Hewlett, N.Y./Lynbrook) were 8-5 winners at No. 3.
In singles action, the Judges did not drop a set. Cooke took one of the closest matches at No. 1, 6-4, 7-5, while sophomore Simone Vandroff (Moss Bay, Calif./Half Moon Bay) won by the same score at No. 4. Broderick cruised at No. 2, 6-0, 6-2. Bernstein and junior Roberta Bergstein (Hingham, Mass./Hingham) were both 6-1, 6-3 victors at No. 3 and 5, respectively. Rookie Maya Vasser (New Rochelle, N.Y./New Rochelle) rounded out the scoring at No. 6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2.
In the fifth-place match, the Judges faced their second ranked opponent of the tournament, #22 Case Western Reserve with a 5-4 victory, their second one-point win of the season. Doubles matches were key, as Brandeis picked up its first sweep of the tournament. Bergstein and Vandroff came away with an 8-3 win at No. 2, while Bernstein and Lazar won by the same score at No. 3. Cooke at Broderick won 8-5 in the first spot to complete the doubles sweep.
In singles action, the Spartans won the first two matches at Nos. 5 and 6 to close within 3-2, but Brandeis won the next two matches to complete the victory. Bernstein had a relatively easy time at No. 3, 6-4, 6-2, to get the Judges within one point of the win, while Cooke closed it out with a 7-5, 6-3 victory in the top spot.
In addition to Cooke, who went 6-0 at No. 1 singles and doubles, Broderick finished the tournament with a 5-1 record playing in the top doubles and No. 2 singles spot, while Bernstein was also 5-1 at third singles and doubles.
The Judges finish their regular season with a 10-9 record.
CONSOLATION SEMIFINALS: #24 Brandeis 8, Rochester 1
1) Carley Cooke (BR) def. Frances Tseng (UR), 6-4, 7-5
2) Faith Broderick (BR) def. Rachel Suresky (UR), 6-0, 6-2
3) Allyson Bernstein (BR) def. Cara Genbauffe (UR), 6-1, 6-3
4) Simone Vandroff (BR) def. Christine Ho (UR), 6-4, 7-5
5) Roberta Bergstein (BR) def. Molly Goodman (UR), 6-1, 6-3
6) Maya Vasser (BR) def. Janice Zhao (UR), 7-6 (5), 6-2
1) Faith Broderick/Carley Cooke (BR) def. Frances Tseng/ Cara Genbauffe (UR), 8-4
2) Molly Goodman/Christine Ho (UR) def. Roberta Bergstein/Simone Vandroff (BR), 8-5
3) Allyson Bernstein/Marissa Lazar (BR) def. Rachel Suresky/Hayley Brower (UR), 8-5
FIFTH-PLACE MATCH: #24 Brandeis 5, #22 Case 4
1) Carley Cooke (BR) def. Sara Zargham (Case), 7-5, 6-3
2) Erika Lim (Case) def. Faith Broderick (BR), 7-6 (4), 6-4
3) Allyson Bernstein (BR) def. Taylor Sweeney (Case), 6-4, 6-2
4) Surya Khadilkav (Case) def. Simone Vandroff (BR), 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
5) Marianne Bonanno (Case) def. Roberta Bergstein (BR), 6-0, 6-0
6) Alex Lim (Case) def. Maya Vasser (BR), 6-4, 6-0
1) Carley Cooke/Faith Broderick (BR) def. Erika Lim/Surya Khadilkar (Case), 8-5
2) Roberta Bergstein/Simone Vandroff (BR) def. Sara Zargham/Alex Lim (Case), 8-3
3) Allyson Bernstein/Marissa Lazar (BR) def. Kat Evers/Emiily Pham (Case), 8-3