#19 Women's tennis improves to 3-1 against nationally-ranked teams with 6-3 win at #30 Bates
LEWISTON, Maine -- The No. 19-ranked Brandeis University women's tennis team won its first match as a top-20 team this season with a 6-3 victory at No. 30 Bates College today. With the win, the Judges improve to 9-1 overall, including 3-1 against nationally-ranked squads. The Bobcats fall to 6-4.
The Judges got fine performances from their top two players, rookie Carley Cooke (San Diego, Calif./Point Loma) and junior Faith Broderick (Washingtonville, N.Y./Washingtonville). The duo, ranked sixth in the Northeast in doubles, took an 8-4 victory at No. 1. Brandeis took a 2-1 lead into singles thanks to a marathon 9-8 (7-2) victory at third singles by rookies Dylan Schlesinger (Miami, Fla./Palmetto) and Simone Vandroff (Moss Beach, Calif./Half Moon Bay)
In singles action, Cooke rallied from a set down for a 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 1, while Broderick took home a 6-4, 6-1 decision at No. 2. Sophomore Allyson Bernstein (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) had Brandeis's most dominating singles win, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 3. Vandroff also had a three-set victory, winning a super tiebreaker, 11-9 after splitting the first two sets by a pair of 6-4 scores at No. 6.
Brandeis 6, Bates 3
March 31, 2012 at Merrill Indoor Gym
1. Carley Cooke/Faith Broderick (Brandeis) def. Meg Anderson/Elena Mandzhukova (Bates) 8-4
2. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (Bates) def. Alexa Katz/Nina Levine (Brandeis) 8-6
3. Dylan Schlesinger/Simone Vandroff (Brandeis) def. Erika Blauth/Kristen Doerer (Bates) 9-8 (7-2)
1. Cooke (Brandeis) def. Mandzhukova (Bates) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
2. Broderick (Brandeis) def. Anderson (Bates) 6-4, 6-1
3. Allyson Bernstein (Brandeis) def. Jacqui Holmes (Bates) 6-1, 6-1
4. Blauth (Bates) def. Katz (Brandeis) 6-2, 1-6, 7-6(7)
5. Lucy Brennan (Bates) def. Roberta Bergstein (Brandeis) 6-3, 6-2
6. Vandroff (Brandeis) def. Brunk (Bates) 4-6, 6-4, (11-9)