PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Brandeis University women's soccer team picked up its fifth-straight win today as the Judges scored twice in 94 seconds to defeat host Johnson and Wales University, 2-1. The Judges, ranked #18 in Division III by D3Soccer.com, improve to 5-1 on the season, while the Wildcats fall to 4-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- JWU struck first on the shot of the game, just 58 seconds in. Olivia Cairrao converted a through ball from Deja Hussey into the bottom corner of the net.
- Brandeis answered at the 11:07 mark, when junior Sasha Sunday (Bethlehem, Pa./Allentown Catholic Central) tallied for the fourth-straight game. She poked home a cross from senior Haliana Burhans (Charlotte, Vt./Champlain Valley Union) that deflected of a Wildcat defender.
- At the 12:40 mark, junior Emily Thiem (Kinnelon, N.J./Kinnelon) made her first career goal into a game-winner, as she curved a free kick into the JWU net.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis dominated the stats, outshooting JWU 18-4, including 11-0 in the second half.
- The Judges also had a 7-1 edge in corner kicks.
- Johnson and Wales netminder Colleen Lynch made 10 saves in the losing effort, her second-highest career total.
- Brandeis sophomore Sierra Dana (Lombard, Ill./Glenbard East) did not have to make a save in the final 89 minutes as she earned the win.
- Brandeis returns home on Tuesday afternoon to meet Babson College at 4:30 p.m.
- JWU takes on Albertus Magnus Wednesday at 6 p.m. in a GNAC contest.