CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The sixth-ranked Brandeis University women's soccer team scored a pair of goals in the final 20 minutes of regulation tonight to defeat visiting Bridgewater State University, 2-0, in a non-conference showdown on Gordon Field. The Judges improve to 2-1 on the season, while the Bears fall to 0-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Julia Matson (Rockland, Mass./Rockland) paced the Brandeis attack with a goal and an assist.
- In the 71st minute, Matson had her initial shot saved by BSU senior goalkeeper Lauren DeSousa (Taunton, Mass./Coyle and Cassidy), but junior Sasha Sunday (Bethlehem, Pa./Allentown Catholic Central) was there to knock home the rebound.
- In the 80th minute, sophomore reserve midfielder Katie Hayes (Eau Clair, Wis./Regis) sent a cross from the left flank that Matson was in perfect position to head inside the right post to the goalie's near side.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis outshot Bridgewater State, 22-5, for the game. The edge was 10-5 in the first half, although the Bears put four of their five on net. The Judges dominated the second stanza, 12-0.
- Brandeis sophomore Sierra Dana (Lombard, Ill./Glenbard East) made three saves to earn her first career shutout.
- Brandeis junior Samantha Volpe (Groton, Mass./Groton) cleared a ball off the line in the 18th minute, denying BSU's Courtney Pepin (Uxbridge, Mass./Uxbridge).
- DeSouza had eight saves in the losing effort for the Bears.
- Brandeis owned a 9-3 edge in corner kicks.
- The goals were the first of the season for both Matson and Sunday.
- It was Matson's second tally of her career and the fifth for Sunday.
- The assist was Hayes's first of her career.
- The Judges improve to 9-2-1 all-time against Bridgewater State, including six in a row.
- Brandeis goes on the road for the next three games, starting with a noon match at Wentworth on Saturday afternoon.
- Bridgewater State hosts their home opener on Saturday at 5 p.m. against Plymouth State.