WALTHAM, Massachusetts – The 13th-ranked Brandeis University women's soccer team scored a goal in each half today as the Judges defeated visiting Lasell College, 2-0, in a non-conference showdown on Gordon Field. Brandeis improves to 2-0 on the season, the Lasers fall to 0-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges opened the scoring in the 26th minute. Senior All-America back Michaela Friedman (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y./Comsewogue) stepped over a free kick just over the midfield line in the defensive end.
- She lofted it high in the 18-yard box, where senior forward Lea McDaniel (Phoenix, Ariz./Chaparral) beat a pack to the ball and poked it home for her second goal of the season.
- Junior Sarah Hulit (Ellicott City, Md./Wilde Lake) nearly made it 2-0 in the 38th minute when she hit the corner of the frame from the opposite end of the box.
- Brandeis eventually doubled their lead just 47 seconds into the second half. Junior Haliana Burhans (Charlotte, Vt./Champlain Valley Union) crossed a ball from the right flank to start the play.
- Senior Cidney Moscovitch (Coral Springs, Fla./Coral Glades) let ball roll through her legs to draw the defense, allowing senior midfielder Jessica Morana (Shrewsbury, Mass./Shrewsbury) to blast the ball into the wide open net for her first collegiate goal.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis outshot Lasell, 13-7, for the game, including 8-2 in shots on goal.
- The Lasers took all five corner kicks in the game, four coming in a three-minute span from the 56th through 59th minute.
- Lasell junior Sarah LaClair (Belchertown, Mass./Belchertown) made six saves for Lasell in the losing effort.
- Brandeis senior Alexis Grossman (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) had two stops to record her second-straight shutout and the 13th of her career, moving into fourth place on Brandeis's career list.
- McDaniel's goal was the 12th of her career, six of which have been game-winners.
- Friedman's assist was her first since her freshman year.
- Brandeis improved to 11-1 all-time against Lasell.
- The Judges have won five in a row in the series, with this the first time in four matches the game was decided by more than one goal.
- The Brandeis women are on the road for the next two games, starting with a 3:30 match at Bridgewater State next Tuesday.
- Lasell hosts Keene State Wednesday at 4 p.m.