WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University women's soccer team finished their 2015 regular season on a high note, defeating rival New York University, 1-0, in a University Athletic Association (UAA) contest on Gordon Field. It was the final regular-season match for the Judges, who hope to earn an NCAA Tournament At-Large berth on Monday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game's only goal came late in the first half. Junior midfielder Jessica Morana (Shrewsbury, Mass./Shrewsbury) took a long throw-in from the deep in the Violets' zone. At the top of the box, classmate Lea McDaniel (Phoenix, Ariz./Chapparal) volleyed the ball over her head to the near post, catching the NYU keeper by surprise and sneaking over the line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Judges outshot NYU, 13-6 overall and 5-1 in shots on goal.
- McDaniels' goal tied her for the team lead this season with six. It was her first score since Sept. 22 against Babson.
- It was her third game-winner of the campaign – the Judges now have four different players with three game-winning goals this season.
- The assist was Morana's first point of the season and her first since 2013 after missing her sophomore campaign to inury.
- Brandeis junior Alexis Grossman (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) made one save and recorded her eighth shutout of the season. NYU's Cassie Steinman had four stops in the losing effort.
- With those eight shutouts, Grossman is on pace to lower her own school record with a 0.35 goals-against average of 0.43, set last year. She has played twice as many minutes this season, after splitting time with Michelle Savuto '15 in her sophomore campaign.
- Brandeis ends the regular season with a 14-2-3 record. The Judges are ranked No. 11 in Division III by the NSCAA, No. 14 by D3soccer.com.
- Brandeis finishes 3-2-2 in the UAA, good for fourth place.
- Brandeis is now 14-4-2 all time against NYU, including 11-0-2 in the last 13 meetings.
- The Brandeis Class of 2016 now has 53 career victories, increasing their lead as the winningest program in school history.
- The shutout is Brandeis's 12th of the season, tied for second most in program history (14, 2013).
- The squad's 0.41 goals-against average and eight goals allowed are on pace for new school marks as well.
- NYU ends their regular season at 12-5-1, 2-4-1 UAA, in a tie for fifth place.
- The Judges will be waiting for the NCAA Division III Women's Soccer selection show at NCAA.com on Monday at 1 p.m. to see if they earn their second straight tournament berth and third in four years.