WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis women's soccer team snapped a modest two-match winless streak tonight with a 2-0 non-conference victory over Eastern Nazarene College. The Judges scored a pair of first-half goals, then dominated possession to defeat the Lions.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges put their first six shots on net, scoring on two of them.
- In the seventh minute, rookie back Hannah Maatallah (Wilton, Conn./Wilton) dribbled through the midfield, splitting several ENC defenders. She delivered a through ball to senior Holly Szafran (Homewood, Ala./Newton North (Mass.), who one touched it home for the game-winner.
- Brandeis doubled the lead in the 16th minute, as senior Melissa Darling (Weymouth, Mass./Weymouth) sent a beautiful pass from the left sideline through to the right side of the box, where junior forward Cidney Moscovitch (Coral Springs, Fla./Coral Glades) was waiting. Moscovitch was one-on-one with the keeper and deposited the insurance goal.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Judges outshot Eastern Nazarene, 34-1.
- Eastern Nazarene senior goalkeeper Kristen Farley (Westminster, Mass./Oakmont Regional) kept the visitors within striking distance by making 17 saves.
- Szafran and Moscovitch are tied for second on the Judges with four goals this season.
- For Szafran it was her 15th career goal, for Moscovitch her 10th.
- ENC's lone shot was taken by junior Katherine Lawrence (Marlborough, Mass./Master's School) in the 13th minute. It was blocked by the Brandeis defense.
- Brandeis is now 10-1-1 on the season.
- This was their eighth shutout of the campaign.
- ENC is 4-6-1 overall.
- This was just the second meeting all-time between the two programs, with Brandeis winning both.
Brandeis returns to University Athletic Association action on Sunday afternoon at 11 a.m. against Case Western Reserve University. Eastern Nazarene is at Gordon on Saturday at 12:30 p.m.