WALTHAM, Mass. -- The Brandeis women's soccer team scored two goals in the first half, and another one late to put the game away, in a 3-1 non-conference victory over Bridgewater State this evening.
The Judges opened the scoring nine minutes into the contest when junior Lea McDaniel (Phoenix, Ariz./Chaparral) found the back of the net after a deflection outside the box. It was McDaniel's third goal in as many games.
Brandeis went up 2-0 the 26th minute on a perfect direct free kick near the left sideline by senior Holly Szafran (Homewood, Ala./Newton North). It was her second goal of the season.
In the 73rd minute, the Bears cut the lead in half on a goal by Caitlin Rowley, assisted by Olivia Planty, following a scramble in the box after a corner kick.
The Judges answered in the 84th minute when senior Alec Spivack (Miami, Fla./Miami Palmetto) found freshman Sasha Sunday (Bethlehem, Pa./Allentown Central Catholic) with a cross. Sunday chipped the ball over the keeper and into the left netting for her first collegiate goal.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
* Brandeis outshot Bridgewater State, 26-3, including 16-3 in shots on goal.
* Judge senior Katy Lehmann (Houston, Texas/Cypress Creek) had no shots on goal against in her 70 minutes in her first career start.
* Rookie Emma Marx (Kildeer, Ill./ Adlai Stevenson) had two spectacular leaping saves, one against Planty before the corner kick that produced the goal, another on Courtney Pepin just after after the goal. It was Marx's first collegiate contest.
* Bridgewater State keeper Lauren DeSousa had 13 stops.
* Szafran and sophomore Samantha Schwartz (Highland Park, Ill./Highland Park)
* Brandeis is now 3-0.
* Bridgewater State falls to 0-3.
* The Judges lead the all-time series with the Bears, 6-2-1.
The Judges are back in action at Thursday at 4 PM against Regis College.