CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Brandeis University fencing teams opened their 2018-19 dual-match season with the first Northeast Fencing Conference meet of the year at MIT. The men posted a perfect 5-0 record, while the women went 6-1.
RESULTS – WOMEN (* indicates club program)
- Brandeis 22, Smith 5 *
- Brandeis 14, BU 13 *
- Brandeis 14, Sacred Heart 13
- Brandeis 20, UMass 7 *
- Brandeis 16, MIT 11
- Wellesley 17, Brandeis 10
- Brandeis 23, UNH 4 *
RESULTS – MEN (* indicates club program)
- Brandeis 18, BU 9 *
- Brandeis 17, Sacred Heart 10
- Brandeis 20, UMass 7 *
- Brandeis 14, MIT 13
- Brandeis 22, UNH 5 *
- The Judges had three matches decided by one point.
- In the men's 14-13 win over MIT, a 7-2 decision in saber offset losses in foil (3-6) and epee (4-5).
- The women defeated BU, 14-13, with a similar breakdown – 7-2 in foil, 3-6 epee and 4-5 in saber.
- Against Sacred Heart, it was 8-1 for the women's foil squad, countering a 4-5 defeat in saber and 2-7 in epee.
- In the women's 16-11 win over MIT, another 8-1 foil win overcame narrow 4-5 losses in the other two weapons.
- The women's foil and men's saber paced the Judges with perfect performances on the day. Women's foil was 6-0 with a cumulative record of 54-9, while the men's saber was 5-0 with a 41-4 mark.
- Men's foil went 4-1, while men's epee was 1-4.
- Women's saber posted a 3-3 mark, while women's epee was 2-4.
TOP INDIVIDUALS - WOMEN
- Senior Joanne Carminucci (Brewster, N.Y./North Salem) and junior Jessica Gets (Morganville, N.J./Marlborough) combined to go 26-1 in foil. Carminucci was 13-0, while Gets was 13-1. Sophomore Wendy Mao (Waltham, Mass./Villa Maria Academy) was 8-0 and junior Hannah Mui (New Hope, Pa./New Hope-Solebury) went 7-0 for the foil squad as well.
- Rookie Jada Harrison (Jericho, N.Y./Jericho) and sophomore Devon Brown (Concord, Mass./Concord-Carlisle) and each posted winning records in four of six matches for saber, going 14-6 and 13-7, respectively.
- Junior Dakota Levy (Merion Station, Pa. / Barrack) paced the epee squad with an 11-10 mark.
TOP INDIVIDUALS – MEN
- Epee junior Chris Armstrong (Highland Park, Ill./Highland Park) led the team in wins, going 10-3, and posting a winning record in four of five matches.
- Sophomore Alexander Holtmann (Bad Ueberkingen, Germany /Kaufmaennische Schule Geislingen) had the top winning percentage on the day, winning all eight of his matches in saber. Rookie Lucas Lin (Plano, Texas/ Plano West) was just behind him at 6-0. Senior Leon Rotenstein (Ashland, Mass./Ashland) and junior Charles Catino (Bellvue, Wash./Hillside) each went 7-1.
- The foil squad was topped by junior Ian Quin (Ramsey, N.J./Ramsey), who went 6-3, while junior Trevor Filseth (Palo Alto, Calif./Palo Alto) and sophomore Jared Sugarman (Scarsdale, N.Y./Scarsdale) each posted five wins.
- The Judges host the Brandeis Invitational on Sunday, December 2. Opponents at that meet will include North Carolina, Yale, Cornell, St. John's and Incarnate Word.