WALTHAM, Mass. – Brandeis University women's basketball senior Sarah Jaromin (E. Greenbush, N.Y./Columbia) posted career-highs with 25 points and 12 rebounds today, leading the Judges to a non-conference 77-60 win over Johnson and Wales University today. The Judges even their record at 3-3, while the Wildcats fall to 1-5 on the campaign.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges came out of the gates on fire, taking a 29-17 lead after one quarter. They hit 58.8% from the field (10-17), including 62.5% from 3-point range (5-8), and all four of their free throws.
- The offenses slowed in the second period, as both squads shot just below 30 percent, but the Judges outscored the visitors, 14-9, to take a 43-26 lead into the break.
- Jaromin opened the second half with a 3-pointer to give Brandeis a 20-point lead at 46-26, and Brandeis never looked back.
- JWU got within 11 points late in the third on a Dede Stevenson (Hartford, Conn./Capital Prep) trifecta, but Brandeis sophomore Camila Casanueva (Santa Barbara, Calif./Dos Pueblos) answered with a traditional three-point play to keep the Wildcats at arms length.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE - BRANDEIS
- Jaromin scored 13 of her career-high 25 points in the first half and 12 in the second.
- She hit 8-of-14 from the field, including 5-of-7 from deep, and 4-of-5 from the line.
- Her offensive rebound and put-back in the fourth quarter gave her a career-best 12 rebounds.
- It marked the second-straight game the Judges had a player score at least 25 points.
- Casanueva finished with 17 points, nine rebounds and five assists. She was a perfect 9-of-9 from the charity stripe.
- Junior Ellery Riccio (Branford, Conn./Branford) scored a career-high 11 points off the bench, all in the second half, playing a career-best 33 minutes. She also matched Casanueva with five assists, also a career-best.
- Junior Amber Graves (La Canada, Calif./La Canada) led all players with a career-high 13 rebounds - four offensive – as Brandeis dominated the boards, 49-31.
- The Judges also outscored JWU 20-4 from the free-throw line, hitting a season-best 83.3% (20-24).
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE – JOHNSON AND WALES
- Stevenson led all players with 30 points on the day, hitting 11-of-24 from the floor and 7-of-14 from beyond the arc with one free throw.
- She scored 19 of her 30 in the second half, including 12 in the third quarter.
- Stevenson also led the Wildcats with nine rebounds.
- Junior guard Tiondra Hands (Boynton Beach, Fla./CCRI) added 11 points and a game-high six assists, while rookie Tara Murphy (Killingworth, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth) added 10 points.
- The visitors won the turnover battle, 19-12, and converted the miscues into 20 points, compared to seven for the Judges.
- Brandeis returns to action on Monday when they travel to Babson College for a 5 p.m. tip.
- JWU plays host to Trinity (Conn.) Wednesday night at 7 p.m.