Nov 15, 2017
BRISTOL, R.I. -- The Brandeis University women's basketball team hit a scoring drought in the fourth quarter tonight as the Judges dropped a 61-60 decision at Roger Williams in their season opener.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game was tight through the first half, with Brandeis leading 15-12 after one period and 27-25 through two.
- The Judges' best shooting quarter of the night was the third, when they connected on 6-of-13 from the field, including 3-of-5 from downtown and 8-of-12 from the line. They outscored the Hawks, 23-13, and led by as many as 14 points with 4:10 left in the period.
- RWU turned the tables in the fourth, holding Brandeis to 5-for-15 overall, 0-for-2 from deep and a critical 0-for-4 from the line.
- Meanwhile, the Hawks hit 8-of-16 overall, 2-of-4 from deep and 5-of-7 from the line as they crept back into the game.
- Roger Williams tied the game at 56-56 with 2:27 to go in the game, but Brandeis answered with the next two buckets from senior Eva Hart (Manasquan, N.J. / Manasquan) and rookie Jillian Petrie (Marlborough, Mass. / Marlborough), the latter giving Brandeis a 60-56 lead with 39 seconds to go.
- Unfortunately, the Judges missed four-straight from the line. Roger Williams' Teagan Dunn hit twice with 31 ticks left to make it a 60-58 game.
- After missing two freebies, Brandeis forced a Hawk turnover, but were unable to convert on the ensuing foul with 17 seconds to go.
- The Hawks called time out after grabbing the rebound and advanced the ball to the frontcourt, setting up a heroic 3-pointer from Gabby Jerahian with nine seconds to go.
- The Judges had one last chance to win it, but RWU's Rebecca Ritchie blocked the final shot of the game.
FOR THE JUDGES
- Rookie Katherine Puda (Whitinsville, Mass. / Worcester Acad.) came off the bench to lead Brandeis with 11 points (3-8 FG, 2-4 3FG, 3-4 FT).
- Classmate Petrie had a fine debut with 10 points and a team-high seven rebounds.
- Ten of the 11 players who got into the game were credited with at least one assist, but none more than two.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Mariah Nicholas led all players with 26 points (9-18 FG, 8-12 FT). She also had four blocks, four steals and two assists.
- Dunn recorded a double-double with 12 points (4-7 FG, 4-7 FT) and a game-high 12 rebounds while adding four blocked shots of her own.
- Jerahian finished with 10 points, including the huge game-winning 3.
- Brandeis hosts Mitchell College Friday at 5 p.m. in the opener of the Brandeis Invitational. They will meet either Eastern Nazarene or Western Connecticut State on Saturday.
- RWU travels to the Tufts Invitational over the weekend, where they will meet the #1/2 Jumbos Friday at 7:30.