ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – The Brandeis University men's tennis team, seeded fifth, was edged in their University Athletic Association (UAA) tournament quarterfinal today, 5-4, by fourth-seeded Washington University. The Judges, ranked #17 in Division III by Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) fall to 13-4 on the season, while the #10 Bears improve to 14-7.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges got off to a nice start, winning two of three doubles matches.
- Washington's Jason Haugen and Konrad Kozlowski got on the board first at No. 1 with an 8-4 win over Brandeis's David Aizenberg (Highland Park, Ill./Highland Park) and Anupreeth Coramutla (Monroe Township, N.J./Phillips Andover).
- The Judges got the next two points with 8-5 wins, with rookies Nikhil Das (Smithfield, R.I./Moses Brown School) and Rajan Vohra (Glen Head, N.Y./North Shore) tying the match at No. 3 and juniors Jackson Kogan (Pacific Palisades, Calif./Windward School) and Tyler Ng (Great Neck, N.Y./Great Neck South) winning at No. 2 to give Brandeis the lead.
- Washington U. bounced back in singles play, winning the first four matches in straight sets to clinch the victory.
- Daniel Li knocked off Ng, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 5 to tie the match at 2-2.
- Bernardo Neves topped Kogan, 6-0, 6-2, at No. 2, and Johnny Wu ousted Aizenberg, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 1 to put the Bears on the brink of victory.
- Brandeis junior Zach Cihlar (Phoenix, Ariz./Brophy College Prep) battled WashU's JJ Kroot at No. 6, but was unable to rally from a late first-set break, falling 6-4, 6-3.
- The Judges' rookies provided the final two points with a pair of three-set wins.
- Vohra downed Benjamin vander Sman, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, at No. 3, while Das topped Haugen, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2.
- The Judges will meet eighth-seeded Rochester in the consolation semifinals tomorrow at 2 p.m., while Washington will take on top-seeded and top-ranked Emory at the same time.