BRUNSWICK and LEWISTON, Maine – The #32 Brandeis men's tennis team suffered a pair of setbacks on a trip north to Maine this weekend, as the Judges dropped a 6-3 decision at the hands of third-ranked and defending national championships Bowdoin on Friday evening and a 7-2 match at #40 Bates College on Saturday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED – BOWDOIN (L, 3-6)
- After the Polar Bears won at No. 2 doubles, No. 1 and 3 were each decided in a tiebreaker.
- Seniors Michael Arguello (Brentwood, Tenn./Brentwood) and Ryan Bunis (Cincinnati, Ohio/Groton-Dunstable, Mass.) edged Bowdoin's Luke Tercek and Grant Urken, 9-8 (8-6) at the top spot to briefly tie the match.
- The hosts prevailed at No. 3, with Justin Patel and Gill Roddy defeating Brian Granoff (Miami, Fla./Gulliver Prep) and Jackson Kogan (Pacific Palisades, Calif. / Windward School) by the same 9-8 (8-6) score as the No. 1 match.
- In singles action, Bowdoin won the top three matches to clinch the victory, with Urken and Tercek avenging their doubles loss to Arguello and Bunis at No. 1 and 2, respectively.
- Brandeis's two wins were three-setters. At No. 4, sophomore Tyler Ng (Great Neck, N.Y. / Great Neck South) earned a 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 10-3 victory over Jerry Jiang, who had defeated him in doubles.
- At No. 6, rookie David Aizenberg (Highland Park, Ill. / Highland Park) just got by Luke Carstens, 6-4, 4-6, 10-7.
HOW IT HAPPENED – BATES
- The Judges again fell behind 2-1 after doubles play. The win came at No. 2, where Aizenberg and Ng teamed for an 8-4 win over Patrick Ordway and Adam Schwartz.
- The Bobcats picked up an 8-3 win at No. 1 thanks to Ben Rosen and Chris Ellis.
- At No. 3, the home team got a late break of serve by Josh Quijano and Jacob Kauppila to take an 8-6 victory and the lead into singles.
- After Bates's Ben Rosen defeated Brandeis's Ryan Bunis 6-0, 6-3, at the top spot, the next three matches were all decided in three sets.
- Unfortunately for Brandeis, the first two of those finished were won by the Bobcats.
- Schwartz got back at Ng for his doubles defeat with a 6-2, 2-6, 6-1 win at No. 4.
- The Bobcats' Ellis knocked off Granoff, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4, at No. 2 to clinch the match.
- Arguello earned Brandeis's second point at No. 3 with a 7-5, 1-6, 7-5, victory.
- Bates won at No. 5 and 6 to finish out the 7-2 win.
- Brandeis falls to 4-6 on the season.
- Bowdoin improves to 9-1.
- Bates moves to 2-7.
- The Judges play host to Wheaton College and former assistant Pauri Pandian Sunday at 2:00 p.m.