THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The 24th-ranked Brandeis men's tennis team dropped a 7-2 decision at Occidental College in their first dual match of 2011-12 during their February break trip to California.
Brandeis fell behind early, getting swept in the three doubles matches. They picked up singles wins at the top and bottom of the lineup, but fell in straight sets in three of the four middle spots against the Tigers to suffer the loss. Junior Steven Milo (Woodbury, N.Y./Syosset) was a 6-1, 6-4, victor at No. 1 singles, while rookie Michael Secular (Bronx, N.Y./Plant, Fla.) survived a marathon match at No. 6. Secular won a first-set tiebreaker 12-10, before winning 6-3 in the second set.
1) Steven Milo (BR) def. Kevin Siebs (OXY), 6-1, 6-4
2) Jeremy Shapiro (OXY) def. Josh Jordan (BR), 6-3, 6-3
3) Jordan Brown (OXY) def. Dave Yovanoff (BR), 7-5, 2-6, (10-6)
4) Stephen Perkins (OXY) def. Alec Siegel (BR), 6-2, 6-4
5) Spencer Choy (OXY) def. Ezra Bernstein (BR) 6-2, 6-3
6) Michael Secular (BR) def. Ben Herrington-Gilmore (OXY), 7-6 (10), 6-3
1) Shapiro/Brown (OXY) def. Milo/Yovanoff (BR), 8-4
2) Perkins/Choy (OXY) def. Bernstein/Jordan (BR), 8-1
3) Herrington-Gilmore/Grossman (OXY) def. Secular/Siegel (BR), 8-4