WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University swimming and diving teams celebrated their four seniors today as the Judges met Clark University in their final home meet of the season. The Brandeis men won 10 of 16 events to claim a 160-132 victory, while the Clark women also took 10 wins, including one in the final event to claim a 147-144 victory.
FOR THE MEN
- Brandeis had four swimmers with two wins, including one triple winner.
- Junior Edan Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) showed his versatility by winning the 200 butterfly (2:04.81); the 200 backstroke (2:05.19) and the 200 individual medley (2:04.82).
- Junior Eb Weber (Murray, Ky. / Murray High School) also earned wins in two disciplines, taking the 100 fly (56.08 seconds) and the 100 back (58.20 seconds)
- Junior Cameron Braz (Monson, Mass. / Monson) won a pair of freestyle events, the 200 (1:48.80) and the 500 (5:03.33). He also took second in the 50 free (23.04 seconds).
- Sophomore Zach Diamond (Staten Island, N.Y./Staten Island Academy) had a pair of freestyle wins in the 100 (51.41 seconds) and the 1000 (10:18.48).
- The Judges also had two events in which they went 1-2-3. Zitelny, sophomore Taku Harada (Henrico, Va. / Mills E. Godwin) and senior David Lazarovich (Stowe, Vt./So. Burlington) did it in the 200 back. Zitelny and Lazarovich repeated their first and third in the 200 IM, with Diamond taking second in that event.
- Weber, sophomore Rich Avrutsky (Needham, Mass / Needham), Zitelny and sophomore Evan Thom (Natick, Mass. / Natick) won the opening 200 medley relay in 1:43.35.
FOR THE WOMEN
- In her final career home meet, senior Fallon Bushee (Malden, Mass./ Mystic Valley Regional Charter Sch.) was the only double winner for the Judges, winning the two breaststroke events. She took the 100 in 1:16.48 and the 200 in 2:42.54.
- Single-event winners for the Judges were sophomore Sherry Tu (Guangdong, China / Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women (N.Y.) in the 100 backstroke (1:04.83); rookie Kylie Herman (Weston, Fla./Cypress Bay) in the 200 butterfly (2:21.37); and sophomore Amy Sheinhait (Framingham, Mass./Framingham) in the 100 free (57.83 seconds).
- The quartet of Sheinhait, Bushee, Tu and Herman opened the meet with a win in the 200 medley relay, posting a time of 1:59.07.
- Brandeis owned a two-point lead headed into the final 200-yard freestyle relay, but Clark pulled out a win by 1.08 seconds, offsetting Brandeis's second and third places to clinch the meet win by three points.
- This was the final meet in the careers of Lazarovich, Bushee, Fay Laborio (Cranston, R.I. / Cranston West) and Theresa Gaffney (Braintree, Mass. / Braintree), who were part of head coach Mike Kotch's first team in 2013.
- The Brandeis men won their second meet in a row to improve to 2-8-1. The women see a three-meet winning streak snapped and fall to 4-9.
- The Clark women improve to 3-4, the Cougar men fall to 1-5.
- Brandeis heads to the University of Rochester for the UAA Championships on Feb. 17-20.
- Clark hosts the Clark Invitational on Feb. 6.
For more information on Brandeis Athletics, please visit brandeisjudges.com or follow us on Twitter or Instagram @brandeisjudges, or follow us on Facebook.
- 30 -