With the 2012 Olympic Games upon us, it's time to catch up with Brandeis's favorite Olympian, Tim Morehouse '00. A 2008 silver medalist in fencing with the saber squad, the Hall of Fame inductee has been busy promoting his sport and training with the hopes of repeating his medal-winning performance – if not improving.
Tim's opening match is on July 29 - his 34th birthday! - at 12:30 p.m. in London, 7:30 a.m. on the East Coast. The 27th seed in the tournament, he has earned a first-round bye. Tim will be facing No. 6 seed Venjamin Reshetnikov of Russia. You can follow the action on-line at http://www.nbcolympics.com/fencing/.
Tim has been instrumental in the promotion of his sport via the sold-out Fencing Masters event which was held in New York's Hammerstein Ballroom on June 26. The event was first shown on television on July 13 at 10:30 a.m. on SportsNet NY, the network home of the New York Mets. It will be rebroadcast on Universal Sports on July 19 at 7:30, marking the first time a non-Olympic fencing event will be televised nationally in the U.S.
The Games launch on July 27 with opening ceremonies and Tim will be competing on July 29 (individual event) and Aug 3 (team event). You can catch all the matches streaming live on www.nbcolympics.com/fencing. Hopefully there will be some TV coverage as well.
Tim appeared on the Today show for the second time this summer on Tuesday, July 10, showing off the outfits the US team will be wearing for the opening ceremonies. He's also showing off EVERYTHING in ESPN: The Magazine's annual Body Issue which hit the stands on Wednesday, July 11.
Here is a listing of links to Tim's exploits, both past and future. Keep checking back for more additions!
- Waltham News Tribune profile by Scott Souza from July 26
- Office of Communications Morehouse profile from July 24
- London 2012 Fencing Page
- Team USA Olympic Fencing preview
- NBC Olympics.com
- July 30 feature on Boston's WHDH Channel 7
- July 13 interview on Fox NY 5
- July 11 ESPN: The Magazine Body Issue hits the stands
- July 10: Tim and Women's Soccer Olympian Heather Mitts debut opening ceremony outfit on Today Show
- July 5 meeting with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino
- July 5 interview on ArthurKade.com
- June 15 feature on The Wellness Blog