ROCHESTER, NY - The Brandeis University men's basketball team traveled to the University of Rochester to take on the #7 Yellowjackets in the back end of a UAA road trip that started off with an overtime loss to Emory University on Friday evening. The Judges fell short to Rochester by a score of 67-56.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Yellowjackets got off to an 8-0 run to start the game, which was halted when junior Jordan Cooper (Weston, Fla./Sagemont School) kicked off the Brandeis scoring with a layup at the 16:25 mark.
- The Judges played Rochester tight in the first half, leading 20-19 at the seven minute mark and trailing just 28-30 at the half.
- The contest was in a deadlock throughout the first eight minutes of the second half until Rochester began to pull away at 11:22 and never looked back, increasing their lead to as much as 19 points in the half.
- There were four lead changes in the game with Brandeis' lead never exceeding two points.
- Junior Latye Workman (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bedford Academy) led Brandeis scorers with 14 points, going 6-6 from the free throw line and 4-6 from the field. Workman also collected three rebounds in his 20 minutes of play.
- Junior Jordan Cooper added 10 points on 4-9 from the field and 2-4 from three, with five boards, two assists, and two steals.
- Senior Robinson Vilmont (Cambridge, Mass./Wilbraham and Monson Academy) had nine points in the contest going 3-10 from the field and 1-4 from three, with five rebounds, an assist, and three steals in his 35 minutes of play.
- Senior Jack Fay (New Rochelle, N.Y./Suffield Academy) added 8 points of his own on 4-7 from the field, with five rebounds, an assist, and a steal.
- The Yellowjackets had three scorers in double digits, led by Zack Ayers who led all scorers in the contest with 16 points.
- Sam Borst-Smith and Jacob Wittig both had 13 points with Wittig dishing out seven assists and hauling in 4 rebounds and Borst-Smith collecting 4 rebounds and five steals.
- Tucker Knox corralled eight boards in the contest, leading all players.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Both teams shot nearly identical from the field three-point with 40% from the field and 20% for Brandeis and 22% for Rochester from three.
- Rochester was unfazed at the free throw line, sinking all 11 of their attempts from the stripe. Brandeis was 8-11 from the line.
- The Yellowjackets outrebounded the Judges 41 to 31 with 14 of Rochester's boards coming on the offensive end of the court.
- The Judges host the pair of Emory and Rochester next weekend with games on Friday at 8pm against Emory and Sunday at 12pm against Rochester.
- Junior Jordan Cooper is just 46 points away from reaching the 1000-point milestone. He is currently 35th all time on Brandeis' all-time scoring list. If able to reach 1000, he would become the 32nd player in school history to do so.
-Daniel Schupper '19